The history of the University of Sheffield dates back to 1828, when the “Sheffield Medical School” was founded.
In 1897, Sheffield Medical School merged the two academic units of “Forth College” and “Sheffield Technical College” to form the “University College of Sheffield”.
In 1905, it was officially named the University of Sheffield after being recognized by the Royal Charter of the United Kingdom.
Over the past 100 years, the University of Sheffield has established a reputation for excellence in teaching and research. It is one of the six best research universities in the UK, one of the five most popular universities for overseas students in the UK, and one of the most internationally renowned universities in the UK.
The University of Sheffield consists of eight schools: Architecture, Art, Education, Engineering, Law, Pure Science, Social Science, and Medicine, which include the Faculty of Dentistry and Nursing.
The University of Sheffield offers more than 250 bachelor’s degree programmes, more than 190 master’s degree taught programmes and more than 100 departments and research centres of master’s and doctoral programmes.
In the UK Higher Education Funding Council’s Teaching and Research Assessment of British Universities, 60% of the University of Sheffield’s departments received national and international excellence in research, and 17 of the 22 departments that participated in the assessment received the distinction of “Excellent” in teaching quality.
Between 1945 and 1996, there were five Nobel laureates.